It started with Spider-pillow

My photo
A while back when i worked at The Comic Book Shoppe (bank st) we had a regular christmas secret santa. The first year i was there i pulled Ted who had a thing for Spider-man. In one of those strange moments of brilliant clarity I whipped up spider-pillow. It was the old Spider-man logo with a round pillow in the middle and 8 3-D legs all made out of comfy fun fur....things have continued in this manner. This is my so called craft

Monday, May 26, 2008

thats what moms are for

so i bought the pattern and thinking myself savvy individual took my first crack at making a dress.

let me say the learning curve was sharp.

i opened up the envelope and took out the paper instructions. my online guide said to not even look at the pattern itself until i had read through the instructions. so i read, and read, and realized i was out of my league.

so i emailed my mom, she's been sewing clothing since i was little. she made a lot of clothes and costumes for my brothers and i.

here was my email to her:
sewing patterns. question? i opened up my dress pattern, the thing
takes up an entire room unfolded!!! am i supposed to trace the pattern
on the sheet or can i cut out the pieces i need....cause i'm not sure
what i'm doing ^^


her response:
OK you need to cut out the pieces you need with paper scissors (do not mix fabric and paper scissors as acid in pattern dulls the fabric scissors). Some purists leave a bit of border around the black line. I just cut on the outside of the black line. Put the remaining pieces back in the envelope as you may want them for another dress. Then with an iron on very low (no steam!!), iron the wrinkles out of the pieces you need before pinning them to the fabric. It will make the layout easier and a bad wrinkle may actually affect the size or look of your dress.

suddenly years of excess guilt came up...i had been always sneaking into her sewing box to use her scissors for cutting up stuff...because i knew there was a set of scissors in there. sorry mom ><

well the first question was answered, i only needed to cut out the pieces i needed for this dress.

No comments: