It started with Spider-pillow

My photo
A while back when i worked at The Comic Book Shoppe (bank st) we had a regular christmas secret santa. The first year i was there i pulled Ted who had a thing for Spider-man. In one of those strange moments of brilliant clarity I whipped up spider-pillow. It was the old Spider-man logo with a round pillow in the middle and 8 3-D legs all made out of comfy fun fur....things have continued in this manner. This is my so called craft

Monday, June 2, 2008

Professional Help required

Ok so the internet is not going to answer all my questions. though it has significantly helped.

things i have found that are useful online.

1)a measurement chart which sadly i can no longer find a workable link to. it had a very 70s looking model with arrows and numbers. it allowed you to measure each area that might ever possibly need and put it into an easy to reference chart.

2)http://www.sewing.org/html/guidelines.html
the pattern marking section was extremely useful. i also kept referring to here when i found words in the instructions i didn't get. like stay-stitch.

however, for all that i quickly found myself stuck on major points of the instructions. so i head off to Chapters to find a book that had everything about sewing.

Success came in the form of Sew Everything Workshop by Diana Rupp


this book was the best of the best (and it came with tonnes of free patterns for boxers, baby doll nighties, tunics, etc). it started off with an intro to your machine, talked about materials and tools. explained how to prep your material and then step by step of how to read a pattern. and then it went into techniques like how to make a gather.

now i was set. so with instructions in front of me, the laptop on my left and my new "bible" on my right i set out reading my pattern.

things were becoming clear, the foreign language was making sense. i knew how to make this dress.

No comments: