It started with Spider-pillow

My photo
A while back when i worked at The Comic Book Shoppe (bank st) we had a regular christmas secret santa. The first year i was there i pulled Ted who had a thing for Spider-man. In one of those strange moments of brilliant clarity I whipped up spider-pillow. It was the old Spider-man logo with a round pillow in the middle and 8 3-D legs all made out of comfy fun fur....things have continued in this manner. This is my so called craft

Thursday, July 1, 2010

the on again and off again love of knitting.

I learned to knit at a young age, i was 5 or 6 and mom and grandma taught me how to knit. to this day in the family photo album is pictures of me sitting staring with great intensity at the knitting needles and my work.

i made grandma a tea cosey. it wasn't fancy, it was a varigated white/yellow/green wool, i had two green metal knitting needles and i knitted 2 sides which mom helped me sew together with holes for the spout and handle.

i still have the green needles. they have traveled with me forever. knitting fell off my radar for a long time. on occasion in high school i picked up the needles and knitted squares. eventually i put together a blanket for my grandpapa and that took a couple of years. never anything fancy just a knit stitch.

i suppose the next big push came when we hit New Zealand in 2005. at the Agrodome in Rotorua Blaise and I were blown away by the hand-dyed wool. we each bought a set of wooden needles and a ball of wool. i knitted up a scarf, still a simple knit stitch but with a neat twist where you wrap wool around the needle and then drop the loops off next row.

back in Canada i made a couple more scarves in this pattern. then in December 2006 Binary Scarf reared its head.

No comments: